Monday 23 January 2012

Chard

When the days are cold and grey, there's nothing much that entices me away from my gardening books and seed catalogues and into the garden but one of the few dashes of colour still around is my swiss chard. I'm growing the variety "bright lights" that I got at the Seedy Sunday seed swap in Hove last February. I started it off in pots in March and planted it out in the plot in May. Since then it has been producing lots of multi-coloured stems with dark green leaves which are lovely to look at and delicious to eat. It is one of the few crops still giving me something to eat at this time of year.

I love how the leaves are so glossy and I noticed today how most of the stems have become the same colour as they get older.

It's delicious cooked up with some soy sauce and sesame oil and a nice change from the usual greens at this time of year. We tend to cut the stems away from the leaves and cook those off first to soften and then add the leaves in at the last minute to keep them fresh. Yummy!

What veg crops are still providing interest on your plot at this time of year?

No comments:

Post a Comment